Achievements and Research Interest
Academic Distinction (Awards and Scholarships)
- Best Management Book Award by Indian Society for Training & Development, 1998.
- Best Paper Award by Indian Society for Training & Development, 1991.
- Pandit Debi Sahai Gold Medal for standing First in B.A. Examination of 1974 of Lucknow University.
- Dr Radha Kumud Mookerjee Gold Medal for obtaining highest percentage of marks in BA Part-II Examination of Lucknow University.
- UGC Merit Scholarship in M.A.
- National Merit Scholarship in Intermediate.
- UP Board Merit Scholarship in High School.
Area Of Research Interests
- Social Entrepreneurship: Designed an elective course on this subject; created and moderate an online community of practitioners, academics and students in the SE field; Member of Advisory Council of University Network for Social Entrepreneurship.
- Organisational Design, Development & Change: Designed and offer a course on this subject; have offered training workshops to organizations; provided consultancy to organizations on organization design and change; published a book on the subject (see below).
- Learning Organisation & Knowledge Management: Designed and offer an elective on this subject; have offered training workshops to organizations; published a book on the subject (see below).
- Innovation & Creativity: Designed and offer an elective course on this subject; have offered training workshops to organizations.
- Cross Cultural Management: Designed and offer an elective course on this subject; have offered training workshops to organizations; developed a critical-incident-based training module available at http://www.culturaldetctive.com.
- Shukla, M., Democratizing Information in India: Role of Community Radios as a Developmental Intervention, Vision: The Journal of Business Perspective, December 2014, vol. 18, no. 4, 349-352.
- Shukla, M., Potentials and Possibilities. In S. Datta, Orlando Ruthven and V Sharma (Eds.) State of India’s Livelihood Report 2011. New Delhi: Sage Publications, 2012.
- Shukla, M., (with Smitu Malhotra), SEWA: Creating Women Entrepreneurs. In Vinnie Jauhari & Charla Griffy Brown (Eds), Women Technology & Entrepreneurship. New Delhi, Ess Ess Publications, 2008.
- Shukla, M., Crafting the Future of Work in India: Towards a Socially Relevant HR. In Pritam Singh, Jyotsana Bhatnagar, and Asha Bhandarkar (Eds) Future of Work: Mastering Change. New Delhi, Excel Books, 2006.
- Shukla, M, Revisiting Knowledge: where is the knower in Knowledge Management. In Udai Pareek, Aahad M Osman-Ghani, S Ramnarayan and TV Rao (Eds.) Human Resource Development in Asia: Trends and Challenges. New Delhi: Oxford & IBH Publishing Co, 2002.
- Shukla, M, Strategizing research for technological innovation, Productivity, 1998, 39(2), 204-210.
- Shukla, M, Corporate strategy as a competitive advantage, Indian Management, 1995(January), 11-28.
- Shukla, M, The learning edge: Building capabilities for competitive advantages. In K B Akhilesh, L Prasad and P Singh (Eds.) Evolving Performing Organisations through People. New Delhi: New Age International Publishers, 1995.
- Shukla, M, Building corporate culture for transformation, Productivity, 1994, 35(3), 419-428.
- Shukla, M, Corporate failures: Why organisations fail to learn, Productivity, 1994, 34(4), 629-639.
- Shukla, M, Developing managerial creativity, Indian Journal of Training and Development, 1990 (May-Aug).
- Shukla, M, Managerial stress experiences: A survey, Productivity, 1990, 30(4), 402-408.
- Shukla, M, The Innovator and the Mandarin, ASCI Journal of Management, 1989, 19(1), 16-27.
- Shukla, M, Blocks to creativity, Excellence in Supervision, 1989 (Nov-Dec).
- Shukla, M, What is creativity, Excellence in Supervision, 1989 (Sept-Oct).
- Shukla, M, Productivity Agreements: Impact on Industrial Relations Scenario, ASCI Journal of Management, 1988, 18(1), 24-45.
- Shukla, M, The creative individual: A study of organisational stereotypes, ASCI Journal of Management, 1987, 16(2), 161-179.
- Shukla, M, Effective trainer: Some personality correlates, Productivity, 1986, 26(4), 343-348. (With Geeta Saxena).
- Shukla, M, Tapping creativity in small groups, Management Review, 1986, 1, 41-45.
- Shukla, M, Managing creative talents, Indian Management, 1985 (Feb), 1-7.
- Shukla, M, Grievance management: Concept and approach, Indian Management, 1982, 21(6), 16-18.
- Shukla, M, Work alienation: Its attitudinal consequences on industrial workers, Indian Psychological Review, 1976, 13(2), 18-23. (With Purnima Agarwal).
- Shukla, M, Developing Leadership in Global Era: HRD Perspectives and Initiatives (co-edited with Uma Jain & Udai Pareek). New Delhi: McMillan India, 2005.
- Shukla, M, Competing through Knowledge: Building a Learning Organisation. New Delhi, Response Books, Sage Publication, 1997
- Shukla, M, Understanding Organisations. New Delhi: Prentice-Hall of India, 1996.
- Shukla, M, Productivity Agreements. New Delhi: National Productivity Council, 1984.
- Shukla, M, Landscape of Social Entrepreneurship in India. Paper presented in 3rd Research Colloquium on Social Entrepreneurship, June 27-29, 2010, Skill Centre for Social Entrepreneurship, Said Business School, and University of Oxford.
- Shukla, M, Revisiting Knowledge: where’s the Knower in Knowledge Management? Paper presented in 1st Asian HRD Conference, October 28-29, 2002, IIM Bangalore.
- Shukla, M, Internal Trainer: Some Role Dilemmas. Paper presented in the Annual Conference of Indian Society for Training & Development, Dec 1988, Hyderabad.
- Shukla, M, Social Scientist as the Change Agent: The Ethical Issues. Paper presented at the Annual Conference of Indian Society of Applied Behavioural Science, June 1988, Jaipur.
- Shukla, M, Productivity Agreements: The Indian Experience. Theme Paper presented at the Workshop on Productivity Agreements, organized by National Productivity Council, May 4-5 1983, Mumbai.
- Shukla, M, Work Alienation among Industrial Workers. Paper presented at the 14th Annual Conference of Indian Academy of Applied Psychology, Dec 27-29, 1976, IIT Kharagpur.
Key note presentations
- Alliances for Service-Learning: Extending the Links to Social Enterprises. 7th Annual Service-Learning Seminar, organized by Fu Jen Catholic University, Taiwan, March 18, 2011.
- Development and Governance. Development Summit, organized by Central University of Bihar, March 11-12, 2011.
- Past, Present and Future of Social Entrepreneurship in India. 1st Social Entrepreneurship Convention: iPreneur, organized by Tata Institute of Social Sciences, February 11-12, 2011.
- HR as a Profit Centre. 34th ISTD National Convention, organized by ISTD, January 29-31, 2004.
- Role of HRD in Knowledge Management. CII HR Convention, November 27-28, 2003, Kolkata.
- Transformational Leadership: From Personal Trait to Organisational Process. Eastern India Leadership Summit, organized by NHRD and ISTD, January 17-18, 2003, Kolkata.
- Role of Human Resource Development in Knowledge Management. 1st Asian HRD Conference, IIM Bangalore, October 28-29, 2002.
- Two Faces of Knowledge Management. QAI Colloquium Series on Knowledge Management, July 14-15 2001, Bangalore.
- Competitive Economy, Competent People: What do they mean for the HR Professionals. Annual Conference of NIPM (Southern Regional Chapter) on Competitive Economy, Competent People, November 24-25, 2000, Mysore.
- Learning Organisations: Need, Models and Options. National Convention on Meeting HRD Challenges of 21st Century, organized by National HRD Network, August 21-23, 1999, Jaipur.
Published articles in newspapers/magazines
- Shukla, M, Making of Social Entrepreneurs, Small Change, 2007 (January), 32-35.
- Shukla, M, Future of Work & Employment in India, Small Change, 2006 (October).
- Shukla, M., Megafunds and Development, Small Change, 2006 (August),
- Shukla, M, Revisiting Bottom of the Pyramid, 2006 (June-July), Small Change, 35.
- Shukla, M, Making of HR the Wannbe, Human Capital, 2003 (June), 22-24.
- Shukla, M, Cross-Cultural Differences in Business Environment, Human Capital, 2002 (November).
- Shukla, M, Knowledge Workers: Implications for HR Practices, Business Standard, 2000(March 28), 5.
- Shukla, M, (Un) learning about Job and Work, Business Today, 2000 (Jan 7-21), 141.
- Shukla, M, Empowering entrepreneurship, Business Today, 1997 (Oct 7-21), 141.
- Shukla, M, Miracle cure, Praxis Business Line, 1997 (March), 6-11.
- Shukla, M, Learning to learn, Praxis Business Line, 1996 (December), 18-25.
- Shukla, M, Four-fold flattening, Business Today, 1996 (Sept 7-21), 206.
- Shukla, M, Harnessing personal creativity, Business India, 1987 (Feb 9-21), 89-91.
- Shukla, M, Demystifying corporate innovativeness, Business India, 1986, June 30
- Shukla, M, Interpreting corporate reality, Business India, 1986, Dec 30-Jan 12, 89-90.
- Shukla, M, Productivity Bargaining, The Hindustan Times, 1985 (January 26).
- Shukla, M. Womanpower: The Underutilised Resource, The Hindustan Times, 1984 (Dec. 20).